Friday, September 14, 2012

College Classes Teach Each Other

Right now, I'm taking 3 college classes: Intro to Java Programming, Precalculus, and Intro to MS Office. One of my biggest obstacles I've had to tackle is "How can I use this?" Let's go back to high school. Or rather, let's think back to the classes in high school. Not many people actually want to go back. Anyway...

In high school, we came across a number of things that we didn't quite see how it applied to real life. Unless you were going on Jeopardy, why did it matter when the Magna Carta was signed? What did balancing a chemical equation have to do with the price of tea in China? And would someone please tell me when you would ever use the Pythagorean Theorem? All of these were just stuff we were taught in school, and we were rarely given real world examples.

This stuff bored the crap out of me and now I'm facing the same kind of boredom in my current classes. Sure, I'm happy to be learning all this, but it's aggravating. So I found ways to put my knowledge to use. Specifically, I've been using my classes to work with each other.

All my precalc homework is being done in MS Office and exported as PDF, e-mailed to the teacher. I've also been playing with Java and doing some of the calculations with Java programs instead of just a calculator. This actually gives me a connection with each of my classes on how to solve issues, even if it's just to do my homework.

If you find yourself struggling with the "boring" classes, see how you can relate each class to one another. It might just give you a little bit of an edge and make that information stick. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comment here and thanks for your opinion!