Saturday, August 25, 2012

Apple vs. Samsung: Winner is NOBODY!

So the decision is final. Apple "wins". From my point of view, no they didn't really win. It's kind of like a boxing match that goes all the way to the end and a winner gets decided based on points rather than someone getting knocked out.

Apple is starting to act like a stereotypical old man. "Get off my lawn!" The prices show it too. The iPhone 4S prices for $649 or $199 with a two-year wireless contract, even though it's old news. Many of the better Android-based phones are either comparable or cheaper, usually both.

The problem that exists with the iPhone and the iPad is they are starting to be seen as old. Slapping a number or letter after it won't change that anymore. The conceptions I had over each version of the iPhone was:
The first iPhone: "OOOOOOH! ME WANT!"
iPhone 2: "Cool!"
3: "Yay, I guess."
4: "OK..."
4S: "Whatever."
That only reason I wanted one was it was a toy I could play with and not much else. The iPod Touch I had was similar to it. It seemed like an iPhone that couldn't make calls or send texts. And while it had some nice apps, it wasn't anything special.

When I finally did get a smartphone, I shopped around. I read the reviews, talked to friends, compared capabilities, and in the end, I went with the HTC Evo Design 4G. It was offered at a good price and had capabilities that iPhone don't have. The big one being it wasn't Apple. Why was that important? It meant I had more control over my phone. (For the record, I have some Linux experience, so you know what kind of control I'm talking about!)

I think that's the main thing that gets me: Who could say that they could confuse a Samsung made phone for an iPhone? I pick up a phone and I can easily tell the difference from any Apple product. How? Their logo is a dead giveaway. The claim of "rectangles with rounded corners" doesn't belong to Apple. Playing cards have been using them for centuries. The original Game Boy was rectangular with rounded corners. Heck, my old Acer Inspire One is rectangular with rounded corners.

I'm not saying Apple has no case at all. Hardware (not simply design) patents are one thing. If Apple shows that Samsung was using their technology, beat Samsung down with a dirty stick.

Now, feel is trickier. I admit, the first time I saw the "bounce back" feature, it was on my iPod and it was novel, but it didn't register as something major. At first, I actually thought it was a bug; I relied more on the scroll bar. But does it belong solely to Apple? I have to say yes, if they invented it first. Apple does have experience in this matter.

In the end, I think Apple is keeping themselves on life support. They need a new product, and not just a renaming. Right now, all they make are iPhones and iPads. Oh yeah, and those Mac things too. Renaming their phone line to the iBam! is not going to cut it. Siri is cute but nothing new. If they really want to make the claim as the mac daddy of smartphones, they're going to need to be iNnovative.

I do admit, I don't understand every aspect of this case, but if the only things being released are these few bits, then the PR is not doing their jobs. Maybe someone else can explain it better or give a link. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comment here and thanks for your opinion!