Friday, August 31, 2012

How much money is enough?

I've heard the stories plenty of times. "If I win the lottery, I'm quitting my job!" A lot of us without much money can comment about what we'd do if we had enough money. But it's hard to actually say what we'd do when we actually get that kind of money.

Right now, I have 3 things on my list if I got a lucky break and won a lot of money. They are, in order:

  1. Pay off my girlfriend's loans
  2. Buy myself a car
  3. Buy my best friend a car
Honestly, with $200 grand, I could do that and I'd be happy. But what about funds over that? I honestly don't know what I'd do with anything more. If I win some sweepstakes that gives me a whole bunch of cash, I'd probably be at a loss. Do I save it? Invest it? Do something else that I haven't thought of?

I could see a number of options when I think about it. First would be to make sure the freaking taxes are handled. Depending on how much was left, I could use it to go to school. If it was a whole lot, I wouldn't even have to worry about retiring. It'd be like BAM! no need to work. Get a house, secure my retirement (which would start right away), maybe take a trip. Hell, I could always open that restaurant that I've wanted.

I'm not mentioning charity because I kind of see that as a given. Not for tax purposes either, but because I wouldn't be able to say otherwise; help some of the local food banks or shelters, donate to the Red Cross, even fund cleaning up the parks. I would have options.

Of course, it's easy to say something like that now. Once I actually had the money, will I have a different opinion or do different things? It's hard to tell. I'd like to say no, but then again, I don't have the money now. At least I can dream.

I do know one thing for sure that I would do: big awesome super party! With lots of pizza! Have fun!

Phoney Lottery Tickets from spencersonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comment here and thanks for your opinion!