Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Clarifying adult content

When I started on this blog, I decided to label it as adult content. It seems I have a different idea of adult content than Google. Note that this is not a critique of their policies, just a comparison of our differences of opinion.

My idea of adult content tends to fall in the same line of thinking as The Books of Exalted Deeds for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 being "For Mature Audiences Only". Essentially, the ideas and opinions are of an elevated nature with content not easily grasped by a majority of minors. Its intent is not to shock or entice. To quote the Book of Exalted Deeds:
[T]he Book of Exalted Deeds is intended for mature players. That’s not because it’s filled with lurid depictions of depravity and torture. The material isn’t meant to shock or offend (though some topics may).
The Book of Exalted Deeds, © 2003 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
While I understand that there are 13-year-olds who can handle this sort of content, I also know of 18-year-olds and older who have issues with someone saying the word "damn". However, the majority of minors (under 18) would have difficulty understanding the context of what was being said. This is why I initially labeled my blog as "adult content".

However, Google's definition of adult content is more business related. The best example of their idea comes from an explanation in AdSense:
In addition to photos and videos which contain nudity or sexual activities, here are some other examples of unacceptable content:
  • Lewd or provocative images
  • Crude or indecent language, including adult stories
  • Sexual tips or advice
  • Sexual fetish sites (e.g. foot fetish content)
  • Adult toys or products
  • Ads or links to external sites containing adult content
Adult Content - AdSense Help, © 2012 Google
I think as far as my blog goes, the only one of those I may have to even come close to beginning to consider is the note on "Crude or indecent language". I'm not going to be transcribing Jay and Silent Bob, though the occasional "offensive word" may slip in from time to time. As I said in my very first post, anyone who chooses to be offended chooses to be offended. I am not going to be detailing explicit activities.

The Adult Content tag is ripped off because it was unnecessary. I guess I'm more kid friendly than I thought. I still have to be careful of stepping on them though. They're so small and I'm so big! Have fun!

PS: Concerning "Sexual tips and advice", does that cover suggesting a condom? I would think that would fall under the category "Health tips and advice".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comment here and thanks for your opinion!